Monday, December 13, 2010

Winning Kids: The Gingerbread Man

The Gingerbread Man
by Annette at Live, Learn, Love

Gingerbread BabyThe Gingerbread Man (Big Little Golden Book)We read Richard Scarry's The Gingerbread Boy often-several times a week.  It is a traditional telling of the Gingerbread Boy story.  We recently borrowed The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett from the library and loved that, too. Our children just love the Gingerbread Man, and they loved the idea of making their own gingerbread children.

To make your own gingerbread children, you will need brown butcher paper of some sort.  I reused filler paper that came in a package.  It was perfect!  

First, I traced their bodies.  Thankfully, children do not mind if it is not perfect.  I also made guides for sleeves, collars, and pant legs.

I drew my son some buttons to color, since he is so young, it benefits him to have a place to color.   I actually colored his hair and showed him the facial features that I drew.
My four year old spent most of her time making "rainbow hair."   She also gave herself some buttons.  I drew some flowers for her to color, too.  Everything else she did completely on her own.  I love the giant smile!
I cut out the gingerbread after they colored, but of course older children could do that themselves.  
Meet Gingerbread Girl and Gingerbread Boy!

 (This was originally posted at Annette's blog Live, Learn, Love, but was first inspired by another creative mom, Superheroes and Princesses where she also has other great gingerbread craft ideas!)
---------------
BULLETIN BOARD
Do you have a kid-related post on books or reading?  Here's your place to link up!  Check the rules if you've got questions.

0 comments: