Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Winning Stuff


Hey, folks! Jane here...

InvictusI finally had the chance to watch Clint Eastwood's Invictus today.  After my review on the South African-based plot in the book No Greater Love, I just wanted to say that Invictus gets a thumbs up from me!

Living in South Africa during 1995, the time period of this movie, I can say that I related to so much of the attitude and tone in the movie.  And this particular World Cup was my intro to the sport of rugby, so it was fun to relive the highlights (like legendary Jonah Lomu and the All Blacks' Haka) and remember the jubilation in the streets after South Africa won.

The accents of Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon are a bit off...  :)  There is a small bit of profanity in the movie that earns it a PG13 rating.  And of course, there is SO much of the time period that is worthy of coverage but not in the movie, so critics feel it could have gone into more depth in areas.

But overall, this is a feel-good movie that serves as a nice introduction to the world of rugby, gives a good picture of the challenges South Africa faced in its transition from apartheid, and inspires its viewers to greatness.  I'd rank it right up there with The Blind Side among the best movies I've seen this year.

BULLETIN BOARD
It's anything goes today!  Here's your place to link up any "clean" book-related post of your choice!  Check the rules if you've got questions.

And take a moment to check out some other great book posts linked up here!

0 comments: