Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What if You'd Never See Them Again?

What If You'd Never See Them Again?
by Fred Lybrand

“The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost” – G. K. Chesterton


“We’re on loan to each other” -Robert Fritz

Sometimes we get caught up in the frustrations of the moment and miss the picture. I still remember the day my dad and I visited my mother in the hospital. She was on a respirator and was unconscious (maybe from medication). I was 18 years old…quite aware of the nature of relationships. I knew mom and dad were having struggles…which later turned into a painful divorce and a divided world for my brother, my sister, and myself…but I saw something else I’ll always treasure.

I watched my dad, with great tenderness, caress and and cry for my mother. She looked close to death (but she’s still with us today at 74), and that was like magic. In one pristine moment I watched my dad fail to control or hide his love for my mother; I saw him set aside so much for love. I know they divorced, and I know he’s no longer on the planet. But, I know something else— I know my daddy loved my mommy, at least for a time. Why is that special? I suspect it means we kids weren’t a regret…or…maybe that he showed me his heart and it made for a great moment, and example.

What I especially know is that we often miss the forest for the pine-needles. Who are you struggling with? What if he or she were just about gone—just hanging on by life support? Doesn’t that refresh your perspective? Is your current demandingness of life (and that person) really worth clinging to?

Robert Fritz points out that we are on loan to each other…that is quite true. Isn’t it interesting how we care for things loaned to us in different ways than we often care for things we ‘own’?

God’s best to you,

Fred Lybrand

Glaen: A Novel Message on Romance, Love and RelatingAuthor Fred Lybrand takes an in-depth look into relationships and dating, plus a little common sense for the real day-to-day world, in his latest book, Glaen. Lybrand has chosen a unique and effective way to present his knowledge of human relationships and romance by creating a storyline that allows readers to walk alongside believable characters as they discover and explore an exciting and more effective way to relate to those with whom they will share life’s most intimate relationships.

The life changing principles found in Glaen are the gems Lybrand wants readers to take from the story and experience in their own lives and relationships. This book will serve as a great teaching tool for parents to use with their children as well as for church leaders guiding couples who are seeking a more satisfying marriage relationship.
---------------
BULLETIN BOARD
Do you have a family-related book post - marriage, parenting, relationships, etc.?  Here's your place to link up!  Check the rules if you've got questions.

1 comments:

Rhodes Review said...

I don't have a family related post, but I could relate to the story posted here. My parents raised 36 foster children at various times throughout their lives. I was the last one. My mom always said that Dad had never wanted kids. That made me feel lower than low then. If he didn't want kids, he sure didn't want me. He was never touch feely for the first 30 years of my life. I'd only seen him show any emotion one time, and that was when his favorite dog died. Never any I love you's, I'm proud of you, or hugs. Mom always said he never learned affection because he was an only child.

In 1997 though I ended up in ICU. Critical Condition. Doctors said I was lucky, in a week I'd have been dead. My fiancee' at the time called them, and they drove out to where I lived. He stood by my bed, holding my hand, tears pouring down his cheeks. From that point on, he was a different man. He'd express his love to me, my siblings, my mom. He'd hug us, and the world just changed. Anyway, I wanted to post this, because I could relate to the subject, and felt the need to share.